Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April 16, 2008

More Spring today! By 5pm, we had achieved a temperature of 16C (60F), the sun is shining, the birds are singing. I got my hands dirty in the garden, although I only spent a few minutes out there. It seems my thyme survived being buried under 4 feet of snow and it is growing and green!
more spring
Some neighbours were out talking about gardening. One fellow was already raking. I'm not going to rake even after the last of the snow goes because the lawn is too tender right now but it will soon firm up. I talked with another neighbour and she told me that she has actually seen the nefarious beaver in Centrepointe park! She was walking her dogs in January during the big thaw we had then and the animal walked right across the path in front of her. And her dogs went crazy of course. We wondered and don't have an answer for where the beaver came from. But she said it has done even more extensive damage in the park. I may call the animal control people to have it removed to a more suitable location because it isn't doing our trees any good out there.
more spring
I notice there is a roof line forming on the first of the new housing units to go up.
more spring
There are still unmelted piles of plowed snow all over the place, but most of the rest of the snow has gone.
more spring
Except for here on the bike path. I rode out this afternoon to see how far I could get going north to the river. Some of the bike path had been plowed in the winter, as evidenced by the grit all over it. But when I got to the Queensway transit station, it suddenly stopped. I guess they figure no one walks north from the Queensway. I walked the bike over the small bit of snow and ice at the station but when I crossed the road and headed toward the creek, I decided to call it a day when I saw quite a bit of snow still on the path. I could have walked through it but it probably would have gone over the tops of my running shoes and I didn't need wet feet. I figure there must have been one huge drift here, for this fallen (not plowed) snow still to be unmelted.

3 comments:

Peter Reichert said...

That's always the last snow to go. I'm bettin' it'll be gone inside of 3 days. My bus pass is good for another two weeks, but I'll be hard pressed NOT to ride to work next week!

RealGrouchy said...

Ah, when you said "Grocery bike", I was thinking more along the lines of this.

- RG>

JuliaR said...

Oh no RG, I just meant that bike with which I get groceries. We have seven bikes, so I have to differentiate between them somehow.