Thursday, January 24, 2008

January 24, 2008

I guess it is the January doldrums. Nothing new happening, weather cold, more snow. I go to work, go to the gym and hang out at home. I am thankfully not depressed and not even blue. But the days pass and I don't even see rodent tunnels so there is not much to blog about, 'hood-wise.
crows having a meeting
Yesterday I came home and spotted four bold crows in the road. I suppose that is redundant, to call them "bold crows".
crows picking at garbage
They looked like they were picking at garbage on the ground but then I got up to where they were, I only saw a flyer flattened on the ground and no food. So I don't know what they were doing.
crow in tree
One flew up into a tree as I approached and the others finally flew off toward the park as I got within a few feet of them.
mysterious object
Today I was sitting at my computer and I heard a noise outside. When I went to look, I didn't see anything and no fresh tracks in the snow either. But something caught my eye, in the tree on the other side of the fence. I got the binoculars which are much more powerful than my little zoom lens on the camera and I could see the object clearly. It looked like a ball of yarn almost but on closer examination, I could see it was a ball of small twigs and shredded leaves, sort of like a tiny squirrel's nest in its materials. But it was so nicely round and looked dense that I knew it couldn't be even a bird's nest. I don't remember seeing anything in the tree recently, so it has appeared in the last couple of days and therefore can't be a nest of some kind. Now I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what happens. Short of climbing the tree, I don't know how I could examine it more closely.

2 comments:

Granny J said...

I'll be fascinated to find out just who or what inhabits your mysterious ball!

JuliaR said...

I'm not sure I'll ever find out, unless it falls to the ground and I can pick it apart. I thought it had disappeared the other day when I couldn't see it from the upstairs window but it is still there. It is small enough that it couldn't be the home for anything larger than a mouse but I really don't think mousies make their home in trees! And maybe it has been there a long time but I just never noticed it. It is a mystery.